Cycling might be one of the most popular physical activities because it doesn’t feel like a chore. If you rode a bicycle as a child, you may recall the sense of adventure as you discovered new sights and scenery. In hopes of pairing our patients and the community as a whole with physical activities they’ll enjoy, we’re happy to share information about one of our favorites: cycling.
- An article by Harvard Health Publications touts the bicycle’s all-encompassing nature as one of its main benefits. Also, cycling is easier on your joints than many other forms of exercise, making it a smart choice for many individuals.
- Bicycling is a great aerobic and resistance activity. You’ll start strengthening your heart, so it pumps blood throughout the body more efficiently, reducing your risk for many chronic conditions, and boosting your bone strength to combat the progression of decreased bone health and osteoporosis.
- Bicycling on a regular basis can help you feel better – even when you’re not riding your bike. Harvard Health Publicationsreports an increase in overall endurance, which can help to make walking, standing, and climbing stairs easier.
- Cycling can reduce stress. A clinical study performed by BioMed Central revealed a decrease in the stress hormone cortisol, in patients with depression and anxiety, after riding a stationary bike for 15 minutes.
- As you pedal around the neighborhood on your bike, you may find yourself engaging with neighbors you’ve never met before. You might even make new friends with fellow cyclists and plan to ride together. The Mayo Clinic shares that friendships can have a large impact on your overall health, increase your self-confidence, and support healthy lifestyle changes.
- Bicycling is an activity that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Help your loved ones adopt healthy habits while having fun together. Locate bike-friendly trails throughout Massachusetts, and see how many your family can explore!
We have seen that even during inclement weather months, cycling is emerging as a growing fitness activity, with the launch of exciting online stationary cycling programs such as the Peloton Indoor Exercise Bike classes. Programs like this make it possible for you to participate in cycling classes all over the world from the comfort of your own home, making it fun to exercise and engage with other like-minded people.
To get you started on your bicycling adventures, check out Smart Cycling Tips and Smart Cycling Videos provided by The League of American Bicyclists. As always, a friendly SCPT representative would be happy to answer any questions you might have, so contact us!