1. How many years have you been practicing Physical Therapy?
I will have completed my 27th year of practice PT this June – all with South County Physical Therapy, Inc.
2. Why did you choose to become a Physical Therapist?
Having played multiple sports growing up and experiencing injuries, the human body intrigued me. I was fascinated by how the human body works.
3. Was there anything in particular that inspired your career choice?
A very close friend was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident while we were in high school and he suffered a serious head injury. While visiting him at the rehab hospital, I was able to observe one of his PT sessions, and saw how well he progressed through PT. It inspired me even more to go into the field.
4. Do you have any mentors or role models who inspired your career?
My parents inspired me to pursue whatever I enjoyed doing and to choose a career that would make me feel good about myself. Cathy Smith was a mentor to me. I started with the business in the early stages, learning different techniques for PT, but also learning how to balance work with starting a family and how to be successful at it. She has allowed me to grow both personally and professionally.
5. Please describe a typical day for you at SCPT.
I mainly treat patients and interact with patients and staff. I educate patients on their particular injury, how to improve their function, and prevent further injuries, as well as perform administrative tasks.
6. What are some of your personal interests or hobbies?
Coaching High School girl’s basketball, gardening, photographing my daughter’s collegiate soccer team.
7. What do you do to stay active?
I play basketball, kayak, golf, garden, bike ride, go for walks.
8. What is something that most people don’t know about you?
I married my high school sweetheart; all my relatives on my parents’ side live in Friesland and Germany.
9. What is the most rewarding part of your work?
Seeing patients improve and return to their previous level of function; having patients come back and express their gratitude for what we have done for them, how their lives have improved, and how good they feel.
10. Do you support any local charities?
This past year, I joined the South County Relay for Life team. We raised money for the American Cancer Society. I am looking forward to participating again this year.
11. Do you speak any foreign languages?
I know a few German and Dutch phrases. I understand the languages more than I can speak them.
12. If you could eat a meal with anyone in the world, with whom would you eat?
My husband, children, and my German and Friesian relatives all together.
13. What are three things you cannot live without?
Family, friends, faith, and good health. (I need the fourth for success with the first three!!)
14. Where is one place you have always wanted to visit?
Any place with a beach and beautiful scenery.
15. Who or what inspires you?
My basketball team: They always give me their best effort no matter what.
My patients: They are proof that hard work pays off, because they get better.
My husband and children for supporting me in what I love to do.